A new roof is one of the most critical home improvement investments. It protects your home’s structural integrity and safeguards its interior from moisture, mold, insects and weather. A good roof is a big investment, but it should last for a long time. It is very important to choose a reputable roofing company that is experienced, dependable and will stand behind its work.
Check Licensing, Certification and Insurance
Roofing contractors (and other home repair contractors) who accept credit cards or who invoice during a 90-day period are actually not required to be licensed in the state of New Jersey. This is why it is very important to ask any contractor you are interviewing about licensing and also certifications. For example, the residential roofing teams at Warren Thompson & Son Roofing & Siding are GAF Master Elite Certified. Only 3% of roofing contractors in the United States have the qualifications and expertise to meet this classification. A reputable roofing contractor will also be able to provide proof of insurance. A homeowner could be held liable in the event of an unfortunate accident if the roofing company is not insured and bonded.
Go Local and Specialized
Instead of choosing a roofing contractor who claims to “do it all”, find a company that specializes in addressing your roof’s specific issue. A local roofing company will be able to make better recommendations for material selection based on climate and weather. They will also be more knowledgeable about local municipal building codes compared to a large national roofing corporation.
Get to Know Prospects
Planning a home improvement project can be time consuming. Many homeowners complain of wasted time waiting for contractors who arrive late for an estimate, or worse who never show up at all. For a more efficient process, try pre-screening contractors with several questions over the phone before inviting them to inspect your roof and meet face-to-face:
- What types and brands of roofing products do you install and why?
- How many jobs do you do in a year and what is the approximate size?
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you offer a free inspection, and can you provide photos or a video of this process?
- What happens in inclement weather during installation?
- How far are you currently booking out, and what is your estimated time frame for a job of this size?
- How long have your roofers been with you, and how many years of experience do they have?
- Can you provide references from past customers?
- What is the payment schedule and what types of payments are accepted?
Consider Total Cost
When it comes to choosing a roofing contractor and roofing material, think about the total cost when making your selection. A company that comes in with a very low bid and then tacks on extra charges, supplies inferior products or fails to provide high-quality craftsmanship is not delivering a good value. Ask yourself the following questions when comparing quotes:
- How long is the roof expected to last?
- Is there any type of guarantee or warranty that covers repairs?
- Is there a separate disposal fee for old material and debris?
- Are there additional charges for flashing, vents or any other components?
- What is the quality of the materials (shingles, waterproofing membrane, underlayment, etc.)?
- What is the quality level of the craftsmanship?
Also, be sure to get any estimate in writing, and keep a record of all correspondence.
Choose a Trusted Roofing Expert
A new roof will protect your home for 25 years or more. Be sure to invest time into finding the best roofing contractor to work on your home project. Warren Thompson & Son Roofing & Siding has been a trusted resource throughout Warren County for roof replacement, roof repair and roof renewal for over 47 years. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our residential roofing experts.